Implementing Information Literacy Standards in K-12 Education

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Welcome!

I created this site as a communication tool to support sharing of information and activities related to the D60 project. For those of you who have not yet heard:

Ray Aguilera, Pueblo City Council member, contacted the Pueblo Technology Alliance and a variety of other community members seeking support for an initiative to ensure that all D60 graduates possess computer proficiency. On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, Ray and the community members made brief presentations to the D60 school board in support of the initiative. The suggestion was well-received by the D60 board. The Pueblo Technology Alliance supports the effort, and will be working with the D60 board, representatives from the Pueblo chambers of commerce, and interested other parties to make computer and information literacy a reality for all Pueblo graduates.

In addition to serving as a communication tool, I hope this site will also be a source of information and education about what computer and information literacy standards are, what the challenges are in implementing standards in K-12 education, and what benefits the community can hope to achieve when all graduates attain computer and information literacy. Watch for more posts containing references to useful resources!

Please feel free to add your comments, ideas, suggestions, resource links, and other items.

2 Comments:

  • Kathy,

    Thanks for the cool digital tool. I am digging it already!

    On K-12 computer proficiency, I think that it is important to stress the concepts of computer proficiency. You said it best with your six discussion points at the last board meeting. It really does not take a bunch of extra money or effort to integrate technology and computers in the lesson plans in multiple disciplines. In fact, I think that this process should be the only process. It is delinquent to think that if we teach someone how to use word as a standalone class that they will understand how to apply that tool's capabilities while writing literature, essays, research papers, or otherwise. That same point would hold true for any computer based task or tool in any discipline.

    Teachers are the first line of resistance and rightly so. They are extremely underpaid and overworked just trying to address the reality of our current societal structure without the added strain of training nad forced agendas. I have witnessed first hand, that once you can show a teacher how to save time and create value with technology they become interested. This is half of the battle. Once the interest is there, then the exploration begins and technology transfer happens. They begin to personalize the technology they are most comfortable with and then start to explore and enrich themselves through just plain usage.

    I think that exploring how we can link the D60 product with the Educators technology forum would be a capital idea. I would be willing to tell my story as well as show how I leverage technology to bring an ultimately richer learning experience with less administrative time and effort as a result.

    By the way, did I say this was a really cool idea yet?

    By Blogger David Skul, at January 29, 2005 at 11:35 AM  

  • Yes, I second David's comments. Very cool tool.

    I am still thinking about and trying to understand the difference between computer literacy (knowing how to use a computer, Internet, Word, Excel) and information literacy. I agree with David about the need to know how to use Word in .... (fill that in with lots of things), but doesn't information literacy cover a great deal?

    For example, you need to know how to read and assess historical information, science information, math information, art information - but aren't those forms of information literacy better taught in those areas?

    On the other hand, I have the K-12 standards in front of me and I don't see any that I would call "information literacy."

    Kathy, could you give me some basic links to read up on these issues before I blather on more and make a fool of myself even more? Can you point me to some good definitions of information literacy?

    By Blogger Unknown, at January 31, 2005 at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home